Monday, January 30, 2006

Dazed and Confused

I got sucked into watching Dazed and Confused on AMC yesterday afternoon. It had been about ten years since I watched a big chunk of the flick. I have to say that it captures the youth of the mid 1970s pretty accurately. Like most movies, it exaggerates some points, but it captures the aura of the times. Plenty of partying, too much reckless driving, good rock and roll music and laissez-faire adult attitudes (plenty of places to buy beer without an ID check). Set entirely on the last day and night of school in a small Texas town, it didn't seem too far away from 1970s small town NC.

At the time, some good performances by up and coming actors. Matthew McConaughey plays a twenty-something, Wooderson, who can't let go of the high school party. He seems to rely on his Texas roots. Ben Affleck plays a jerk, O'Banion, who nonetheless hangs well with the in-crowd. Rory Cochrane plays the school stoner, Slater. Jason London plays the lead character with a classic name for a 1970s high school movie character, Randal "Pink" Floyd.

My favorite line comes from Ms. Stroud, the young and hot history teacher played by Kim Krizen, who tries to get in one more word of advice as her class walks out of the room at the final bell:

Okay guys, one more thing, this summer when you're being inundated with all this American bicentennial Fourth Of July brouhaha, don't forget what you're celebrating, and that's the fact that a bunch of slave-owning, aristocratic, white males didn't want to pay their taxes.

A feel-good movie whose viewing doesn't end up being a bad way to spend a gray Sunday afternoon. The youthful excesses of those days have died down somewhat, probably for the good of us all.

6 Comments:

Anonymous David Boyd said...

It'd be a lot cooler if you did.

1/30/2006  
Blogger Glenn said...

Fortunately, my parents weren't laissez-faire.I had to play it pretty cool until the college years. I think it's good the 70s ended. Kids today aren't as wild as back then at least in my opinion.

1/30/2006  
Anonymous Brent said...

Ahh, those would have been the days had I been old enough to walk. That is a great movie. Fortunately, my parents were fairly laisez faire, so a good time was had by all in my youth. I especially remember opening day of fishing season when little fishing got done. The last one was my senior year of high school. So, that stopped with my friends. Those days in Kibler Valley were the very best.

I think kids are too consumed by the box. As a matter of fact, kids who never question being searched or run through a metal detector as they enter school will never gain the capacity to think outside the box. That's why I don't worry about being replaced by someone younger in my future.

No one really takes a stand anymore, even in college.

1/30/2006  
Blogger Glenn said...

I would have loved spending part of my teen years in Kibler Valley. Back then, I didn't even know existed. Just bringing it up, makes me want to be there now. With this winter without much winter, it would be a great place to hangout.

1/31/2006  
Anonymous Brent said...

I always condemn folks who get off topic on blogs. However, I have to tell this story. The first time I rode down there with my buddies and we turned onto the road by the river, it seemed like I was looking at the biggest sky and biggest oak tree I had ever seen in one background of Carolina blue. I got butterflies in my stomach and didn't know whether it was the excitemnent and sounds of laughter or whether it was the cheerleader cavorting topless near her tent.

It was an incredible weekend. I was a sophomore in high school.

1/31/2006  
Blogger Glenn said...

Good story Brent. Thanks for sharing.

2/01/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home