Saturday, February 25, 2006

Guilford senior on the Cartoon War

Guilford College Senior Hatice Dogan pens a piece for the News and Record concerning the Muhammad cartoons. The N & R does not identify Dogan as a Muslim, but she uses the pronoun we as she describes Islam's beliefs concerning images of the prophet.

She blames the bulk of the dispute on Western world domination. A well worn theory on most world events commonly heard on college campuses around the country. She calls for dismantling "the system of Eurocentric/Western dominance and oppression," and starting from "scracth." I'd like to know what scratch is. Even with all its faults, it's hard to see a more open and tolerant cultural alternative out there than the one developed by western culture over centuries of strife, blood and prosperity.

I don't agree with Dogan's take. I blame the problem on the radical Islamist disbelief in a sense of humor and belief that they have an absolute divine right to destroy apostates, but I admire a college senior who gets an article published in the local newspaper. Considering my writing ability at that time of life, no way I could have pulled it off.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Brent said...

I have a different take, and I realize this will be provocative. I think we should round up all the nuts in that area of the world (ie the people who kill one another because they are members of different sects of Islam, the people who burn building and kill people over a CARTOON and the people just have no real idea of how to get along in the real world) and let them fight it out on an island. Whoever is left rules the island but cannot leave. They must develop a self-sufficient society. I hope i'm not the only one who is so tired of their disagreements escolate to death of innocent people.

2/26/2006  
Anonymous Hatice Dogan, Guilford Student who wrote the article said...

I greatly appreciate your responses regarding my article that was in the news and record. I know that in this world no two people will ever have identical viewpoints on any social or political concern, so I understand from where these comments stem. Regarding the starting from "scratch", I mean dismantling opressive systems and forming institutions based on equal principles and forms of leadership. You say "I blame the problem on the radical Islamist disbelief in a sense of humor." I disagree with this. It is not in any way about disbelief in a sense of humor, rather it is about respect. It is respect for a prophet and respect for a religious culture that avoids pictures of prophets. And to Brent: I would like to say I am not a nut . Like I said, I don't agree with the violence that spawned from the issue. People are not necessarily reacting over the specifics of a cartoon. Rather it is that we Muslims are fed up with being misrepresented, misunderstood, and we are sick of our culture and religion being stereotyped and morphed into what people like you actually believe from the media's misrepresentation.

3/20/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home