Tuesday, February 21, 2006

It's State/Carolina Eve

Less than 24 to go until the NC State/Carolina rematch. I listened to a little of Mark Packer's show this afternoon and the "Packman" sensed a lack of confidence among NC State fans. Durnig the mid '70s, this game went beyond war. I remember the family riding home from Wednesday night church on game night and my dad tuned in the pre-game on the Carolina network. Dean didn't come on to do his customary pre-game interview with Woody Durham for fear that Stormin' Norman had a radio tuned in inside the Pack's dressing room. DT, Towe and Burleson made sure Norm prevailed without resorting to espionage.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Ed Cone said...

Kids today -- really for the last 25 years -- just don't get it. In the '70s, State was THE big rival. Phil Ford's freshman year tourney win over the defending national champs was (as I once wrote in my newspaper column) the happiest moment of my life.

2/21/2006  
Anonymous David Boyd said...

Yep, Ed. The only ones who think State/Carolina is a rivalry are people who went to State. One of the requirements of a rivalry is that both teams win once in a while.

2/22/2006  
Anonymous Glenn said...

I don't think the rivalry is as big as it used to be. However, couldn't you say the same thing about the Carolina/Duke rivalry? During the same period where Carolina has owned State, Duke has a similar advantage over the Heels.

That being said, I think both rivalries are alive and well whatever that's worth coming from a Wake fan getting ready to head out to the WFU/Clemson showdown. All I want is a revival of the Big Four Tourney.

2/22/2006  
Anonymous David Boyd said...

What we need is a Big Four football tourney. Then at least one of the NC ACC football teams could be the champion of something.

2/22/2006  
Anonymous Glenn said...

I'll be glad to have Big 4 football tourney. I don't know if it will fill too many stadiums though.

Looks like State's making me look bad tonight on the rivalry thing, but I'll stand by my contention.

2/22/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home