Friday, February 24, 2006

What's in a name?

I didn't get any blogging done yesterday after a buddy called me at the last minute and invited me to tag along with him to the Rhino Times Schmoozefest at Hemmingway's. Good times usually come when least expected and this was no exception. I'd never been to one of these before. At first the crowd was packed a little tighter than I usually like. However, everyone around seemed pretty stress-free. You could hear a lot of laughing. The visual stimulation overpowered me at times. I never fails to amaze me how many pretty women live in Greensboro.

I admire the Rhino for publishing the Muhammad cartoons. It's approached this like it has everything else. The paper seems appropriately named. It's a scruffy and gritty sheet that never tries to pretend to be anything else. Why start apologizing now? I usually pick up a Rhino every week, but sometimes miss it. I don't always agree with how it approaches some stories, but I respect the staff for putting out a good product. I've worked at a weekly. We weren't scruffy and gritty, but we busted tail to fill the paper with as much original writing as we could. I know it's hard work and I'm glad to see it pay off here. That's good for the Rhino and Greensboro.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home