Wednesday, March 08, 2006

A good idea from Berkley?

I don't usually read too much about good ideas coming out of Berkley, CA. I've visited there several times and have found it mostly pleasant. It doesn't take long to catch on to why some call it Berserkly, but the wackiness comes across as more charming than alarming.

Today I read in the Christian Science Monitor about the Berkley schools using locally-grown produce and meat in its cafeterias. The hope is to encourage healthier eating habits among children. Serving this menu means higher labor costs because using fresh foods requires a great deal of prep work. The food services director maintains that the local product is cheaper to buy than the ready to eat processed foods most school cafeterias use. She says this savings should offset labor costs. (At my school, we have to start lunch at 10:30 in order to have the cafeteria staff off the clock by 2:00. ) I like the idea. The marinara sauce sounds tastey.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Brent said...

I love it. I think the whole idea of having lunch at 10:30 is crazy. Yeah, manage costs, but when you have to do things that just don't make sense, you need to revisit that option. I've become increasingly aware that kids are just numbers these days anyway. We have lost so many of our school workers who really care. It's pretty sad.

3/08/2006  
Anonymous glenn said...

I would love to see them try this around here. It would give the school another opportunity to connect with the surrounding community. Plenty of former tobacco farmers in Rockingham County have converted to produce. I'm too optimistic of it happening though.

3/08/2006  
Anonymous glenn said...

Oops. Meant to say not too optimistic.

3/08/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home