Sunday, March 12, 2006

March Madness; the perfect solution at least for today

The Duke/BC tipoff approaches, but I can't help myself from anticipating the unveiling of the brackets this evening. I'm still filled with anticipation even though my team, Wake, won't be included. I've heard the talking heads debate among themselves the exclusion of mid-level power conference teams from the Big Dance. Jay Bilas, for one, seems to think the snubs prevent the tournament from having the strongest field. I even heard Mike Gminski bring up the fact that some are calling for a 128-team field.

Going to an extra round is not appealing to me. However, I came to a solution on my walk back from the Bog Garden this morning. I wouldn't be surprised if it's already been proposed, but I haven't read about it yet. Thirty conferences receive automatic bids. At least half of these wind up as a one-game gigs. Take the 16 teams with the worst RPI and have them play an extra round. The eight winners would then match up against the number one and two seeds in each regional. This would allow for eight more at-large bids and expand the field to 72. The formula may make for tougher non-conference schedules among the power teams, who play too many record padders against the Sacred Hearts and Longwoods. It may make no sense or too much sense, but there it is.

The Duke/BC game will have to be a good one to keep me inside on a beautiful 70+ degree day.

Update: I need to fire my research assistant. There are already 65 teams in the tourney and 31 conferences get automatic bids. My formula would create seven additional at-large bids. Looks like a good dance. I'm a little surprised Carolina doesn't get to play in Greensboro.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Brent said...

Dude, you will be surprised to know that I ditched my ABD philosphy and rooted for the devils today vs. BC. If it's one thing I can't stand more than those nuts in Durham, I have discovered it's a bunch of yankee Ghetto thugs who think they can come down to our home stomping grounds and take the ACC title in their first year in the league. I began mulling whether to cheer for Duke last night during the post-game interviews when Dudley was acting like a classless ass. I began cheering in earnest for them when I read some comments from BC fans this morning on the Net.

3/12/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home