Monday, May 15, 2006

Bush shows hand on immigration

President G.W. Bush officially revealed his five-point plan on solving the problem of illegal immigration tonight. Point one calls for more border security. The president proposes sending 6,000 National Guardsman to back up US Border Patrol for at least a year. In addition, he seeks a high-tech approach to catching illegal immigrants trying to cross the US-Mexican border. Points two through five deal with a guest-worker program, sanctions for employers who hire illegals, a path to citizenship and an emotional appeal to the notion of the US as a "melting pot."

Overall, I find the proposal milquetoast, but his border plans sound good. While I don't agree with all of two through five, I can accept them if plank one is accomplished. Right now, I'm taking "I'll believe it when I see it" approach to GWB's committment to securing the border.

Legal immigration continues to be important to the US. However, throughout our history we've taken pause after any great influx of immigrants and those were the foreign-born who arrived legally. We have to take time to measure the impact of what we have at present and that means stabilizing the number of illegal immigrants who are already here. The only way to do so is to seriously secure the US/Mexican border.

4 Comments:

Blogger Joe Guarino said...

"I'll believe it when I see it"-- that about sums it up, Glenn.

5/15/2006  
Blogger Glenn said...

A facade of enforcement only makes the rest of the plan a joke.

5/15/2006  
Blogger sam's notes said...

Would securing the border plus a zero tolerance deportment policy for any legal offense make a dent in the problem? I haven't seen anyone mention that yet.

5/16/2006  
Blogger Glenn said...

Sam, it might work, but I don't think the pols would want to touch it. I do think local law enforcement officials should have a wider role in enforcing immigration law.

5/16/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home