Thursday, May 25, 2006

Nyrd Skynyrd

The credit or blame, depending on your perspective, for turning this thought wheel into motion came from David Boyd's post on "Sweet Home Alabama" being ranked as somewhere in the top ten of all time conservative rock and roll tunes.

I've never been a big fan of the Skynyrd big hits. In fact, "Sweet Home," "Free Bird," "Tuesday's Gone" and "What's Your Name," were among several that didn't make it to my desktop when I ripped music from my CDs. (I actually think "Free Bird" is a good song, but I guess I've heard it a few too many times.)

If you dig a little below the surface, you find the real deal. I don't have a favorite Skynard tune. "One More Time," "I Never Knew," "Comin' Home" and live versions of "Gimme Back My Bullets" and "Simple Man" get a lot of play over my way.

I don't know if their music qualifies as conservative rock or not. Actually, they are hard to pin down. "The Ballad of Curtis Loew," shows that black and white southerners could certainly get along at least on personal basis in the pre-Civil Rights days. "All I Can Do Is Write About It," foresaw the strip mall occupying the former cow pastures way back in the '70s. "Four Walls of Raiford" is as haunting a tribute to Vietnam Vets that I've ever heard.

You may certainly call Skynyrd politically incorrect. If you're interested in impressing a woman with the depth of your rock and roll coolness and can't resist playing a little Skynyrd, it might be best to keep "On the Hunt" in the hole, especially if she has some feminist tendencies. "I Never Dreamed" would be a better start and might even open a few doors. Better yet, play the tune and don't tell her it's Skynyrd.

I like listening to a variety of music, but always seems to come back to '70s rock and roll. Skynyrd can make a strong claim to being the best of the decade.

2 Comments:

Anonymous David Boyd said...

In addition to the ones you mention, I really like The Needle and the Spoon and Workin' for MCA.

As far as their being hard to pin down as conservative, don't forget Saturday Night Special and the plea to dump handguns in the sea.

5/26/2006  
Blogger Glenn said...

Two very good ones.

5/30/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home