Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Ann Coulter: tie-dyed in the wool Deadhead

Through Andrew Sullivan I learned that Ann Coulter is a Deadhead. In an interview with Jam Bands, Coulter explains her love of the Dead, which dates back to her high school days in Connecticut. When pressed to name her favorite Dead show, Coulter wouldn't bite, but she did describe one from her days while matriculating at Cornell:

I fondly remember seeing the Dead when I was at Cornell. It was the day of the fabulous Fiji Island party on the driveway “island” of the Phi Gamma Delta House. We'd cover ourselves in purple Crisco and drink purple Kool-Aid mixed with grain alcohol and dance on the front yard. Wait – I think got the order reversed there: We'd drink purple Kool-Aid mixed with grain alcohol and then cover ourselves in purple Crisco – then the dancing. You probably had to be there to grasp how utterly fantastic this was.

I found Sullivan's take on the article akin to that of a lemon-sucking school marm. I thought it was a great break from politics, a fun piece.

2 Comments:

Anonymous David Boyd said...

That's a great interview. I think I've got this whole political divide thing figured out. Ready?

If you think big corporations and their bureaucrats are to blame for the world's ills, you're a Democrat.

If you think big government and its bureaucrats are to blame for the world's ills, you're a Republican.

6/29/2006  
Blogger Glenn said...

Good point David. While not a Deadhead myself, I think everything about their music emanates a spirit of freedom. You don't have to bend either direction on the political limb to appreciate that.

6/29/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home