Saturday, June 10, 2006

Trying to regain discipline, but not too fast

For anyone who has spent time in middle school education, you'll know how tricky the end of school may be. Students reach a point where they've had enough of discipline and all the rules that enforce it. They don't go into open rebellion, but they're ready for a change of pace. They care little if its day 170 instead of day 180. The trouble for me, is that I feel that tug too and usually succumb to it. I'm always able to muster enough to keep the kids pacified, but it takes it toll on life after school. Motivation has been building more slowly than expected. I've managed to get the computer turned on most days, but blogging has been sporadic. I also face a sinkful of dirty dishes and a rapidly growing jungle in my very small back yard. We'll slowly get it back together and I don't have to be anywhere Monday morning.

But hey, it's summer time and I'm going to try to devote energy to appreciating the 20-day stretch of the longest periods of daylight we'll see this year. Last night, you could still detect a little bit of light in the sky well after 9 o'clock. Not nearly as much as I saw last July around 9:45 pm in Montana and Idaho, but still enough to fascinate me. The lightning bugs are fired up and all the signs of summer and renewed energy give some hope. I also got my first good whiff of magnolia blossoms last night in Lake Daniel Park. I had to stop in take it in, much to the chagrin of my hard-charging dog who was denied a Thursday walk. The mimosa is popping out too.

It's all going to be alright.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

NSU - 4efer, 5210 - rulez

2/21/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home