Saturday, July 29, 2006

Back from the hills

I just got back from a few days in Cullowhee. While I had to spend most of my time inside a Western Carolina University classroom at the North Carolina Teacher academy, it felt good just being in the NC mountains. For those not familiar with Cullowhee and WCU, the town and campus sit in the bottom of a bowl ringed by mountains. Look in any direction and you see a ridge. Every morning there I loved watching the fog burn off hills and rise up and dissapate in the sky.

We did get a chance to take a ride one evening. We traveled south on NC 107 along the Tuckaseegee River and eventually Lake Glenville. A beautiful ride in itself. 107 ends at Cashiers and merges into US 64. From Cashiers we traveled west to Highlands, another curvy ride complete with beautiful vistas. Highlands is a gorgeous little spot. Don't ask me why, but it somehow reminds me of Sausalito, CA.

Just west of Highlands, we hit Bridal Veil Falls. Bridal Veil is not famous because it's a spectacular fall, its location makes it unique. The falls, more like a steady shower, fall right of the mountain to the shoulder of the highway. In the past, a side out allowed motorists to drive under the falls. However, a rockslide has put an end to that. From Bridal Veil we went to Dry Falls, a beautiful fall that's worth taking a little time just for gawking. From Dry Falls we drove west toward Franklin. That trip takes you through the Cullasaja Gorge, another ride providing striking views. From Franklin we completed the loop back to Cullowhee with a short detour through Webster. A highly recommended drive.

I'm always grateful for any time I get in the NC mountains.

2 Comments:

Blogger Roch101 said...

Man, that brings back memories. As you went south on 107, you went through Aunt Sally's curve, where I rented a little cabin above the Tuckasegee for a while. It was an invigorating 2 1/2 mile hike to and from campus and coming home to grab my fishing pole and walk down to the river to catch dinner was just pure pleasure.

I worked in Cashiers for a while too -- at Leah's restaurant (not sure if it's still there). The other places you mention all hold special memories too. You've made me long for a return visit.

7/29/2006  
Blogger Glenn said...

It's a great place to be. I had some friends who lived around East Laporte. Always enjoyed the visit. A great place to spend some time.

7/30/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home