Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Lightning strike: midsummer reflections in the backyard IV

We got some daytime fireworks at the Sunset Hills condos today. As a friend and I sat in my backyard this afternoon, we heard a little thunder rumble in the distance, but didn't see any lightning. It seemed that the storm was maybe going around us. Suddenly, a big arc of lightning stretched out over the top of us immediately followed by a violent clap of thunder. We made quick entry back inside.

A few minutes later I heard a knock at my door. It was my neighbor, who told me to look at what the lightning struck. He said a tree was on fire. I immediately looked at one of the tall pines in our courtyard on Overlook St. He then pointed to the distance where a tall pine on Mimosa stood burning like a tall torch. The Greensboro FD got there soon enough and nothing spread to the other tall trees.

I now see how many forest fires break out the arid west. I'm glad we're not in the arid east.

2 Comments:

Blogger sam's notes said...

totally crazy. We had a couple of close strikes over here, too. Thanks for the update.

7/20/2006  
Blogger Glenn said...

We had a couple of more sharp strikes after the tree was hit. I checked out the tree today.I couldn't see any fire damage, but there's a little crack all the way down to the base.

7/20/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home