Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Tigers still sitting atop the heap

Baseball is approaching the all-star break and the Detroit Tigers have the best record of all. They padded their record with a 10-4 win at Oakland today. I'll have to admit that I'm a little behind on baseball this year. The Carolina Hurricanes run to the Stanley Cup took my attention away from the troubles of the Atlanta Braves and I stopped looking at the standings. However, Detroit has my attention. Jim Leyland works some more magic. Kenny Rogers is still a strong hurler. Other than Ivan Rodriguez, I'm not familiar with their players. I'd love to catch a Tigers/Chisox game on the tube. Don't ask me why, but it seems baseball is better when they have a strong squad in Motown.

Update: I just educated myself on the Tigers. It looks like Detroit may have a chance to live down the John Smoltz trade. Late last season, the Braves sent top pitching prospect Zach Miner to the Tigers for closer Kyle Farnsworth. Miner is 5-1 with a 2.68 ERA so far this year.

Miner's fellow starter Nate Robertson has a blog based on his prowess as a gum chewer. He's having a good season on the mound too.

2 Comments:

Anonymous David Boyd said...

Maybe they can get Smoltz back. I hear he's open to a trade.

7/06/2006  
Blogger Glenn said...

That's one thing I don't like about baseball, the rent-an-allstar stakes late in the season. If Smoltz wants out, I guess the Braves may have to go along. If he does go, Detroit would be much preferable to the Yanks, which is the main rumor I've heard. That's what worries me. Taking a look at Detroit's staff shows a lot of solid starting pitching. The Yanks are hurting on the mound. We'll see what happens.

7/06/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home