Tuesday, August 01, 2006

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody's there to hear it....

Maybe the question has already been answered and I missed it, but I think I can now at least speak somewhat authoritatively on the subject of trees falling in the forest. Yesterday as I hiked along the Moore's Wall trail at Hanging Rock, I stopped to take in the scenery. Almost as soon as I stopped, I heard terrific rustling in a tree. I prepared to see some big bird fly out of a tree. Instead, I see a swaying tree top and the next thing I know, the tree comes crashing down a safe distance away. Apparently a storm had already battered the tree and its time to go had come. I now say that a tree makes a sound even if no one is around.

3 Comments:

Blogger Roch101 said...

Are you nobody? You heard, therefore you are.

8/01/2006  
Blogger jimcaserta said...

Yeah, you were there.

8/02/2006  
Blogger Glenn said...

Thanks for jumping into the philosophical discussion. I'm relying on my very limited knowledge of physics. The sound waves are there.

8/03/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home