Sunday, September 17, 2006

Football fix

I'll admit to being a football geek this weekend. College ball inspired me to the point that when I went to Harris-Teeter and saw a guy run by me on the sidewalk as I walked out of the store, I felt the temptation to drop the groceries and tackle him. Restraint prevailed though.

I had a lot of chores to do around the house, but I tuned in the Wake/UConn game on the radio. Until the fourth quarter, I was expecting the Huskies to explode and surge past the Deacs, but it never happened. Wake's defense took control and the team headed back south with a 24-13 win and a 3-0 record. WFU has won with defense, a good kicker and kicking mistakes by two of three opponents. It doesn't make for the prettiest football. The competition hasn't been overwhelming either, but a 3-0 start is something most of us Wake fans will take with few quesitons asked. The run would be most impressive if it came on the hoops court. Along with UConn, Wake has taken out Syracuse and Duke on the gridiron.

There was good selection of games on the tube. Michigan drove a spear into Notre Dame and kept twisting it all game long. It's good for football when the Irish are good, but I don't think they're as good as the talking heads want them to be. While I never feel sorry for Oklahoma, they got a bad call on the field and in the review box on an onside kick against Oregon. Following the gift, the Ducks scored a quick touchdown and then blocked a last-second Sooners field goal attempt. Auburn/LSU wasn't pretty, but if you love hard-hitting football, it was entertaining.

It doesn't look like the ACC will put a team in BCS title contention, but the league is competitive which should make for some exciting games. Clemson's last-second win over Florida State was fun to watch, as was the Tigers' heart-breaking OT loss to Boston College last week. It looks like it might be a season where some teams have a chance to deliver some payback to Florida State and Miami.

We had a good NFL Sunday today, but I can't bring myself to say much more. I'm having a hard time getting over the Panthers making one of the most bone-headed plays I've seen in a pro football game. It's even harder to conceive that a coach as conservative as John Fox with his defense in control of a game would call a trick play on a punt return. It's the dominating theme on Scott Fowler's Q and A at the Charlotte Observer.

Let's keep the helmets strapped on and no tackling on the pavement.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home